Everybody loves pancakes in the morning; these paleo-friendly cakes can be made any way you want, served up with various toppings for a filling meal.
Reference: Marsha Saxton
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5-10 minutes
Basic Pancake Ingredients:
3 large eggs
3 heaping tablespoons ground golden flax seed
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon coconut oil
Ingredients for Sweet Variations:
1 teaspoon vanilla, plus 1/2 chopped fruit (mango, banana, apple)
1/2 cup berries or raisins
Pumpkin, plus pumpkin pie spices (1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, clove, nutmeg)
Ingredients for Savory Variations:
1/2 cup chopped scallions; kale; yellow onions; shredded zucchini
1. Beat all the basic pancake ingredients together, except for the coconut oil.
2. Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet.
3. Pour the batter as you would ordinary pancakes.
4. Flip them over when bubbly; peek under to see if the bottom has browned or if they smell a bit toasty.
5. When both sides are golden-brown, serve hot with your choice of toppings (see below for recommendations).
Suggested toppings, depending on sweet or savory:
Sweet: Yogurt, jam, whipped cream cheese, maple syrup, butter.
Savory: avocado, salsa, grated cheese.
Good to know:
These work well to-go, as a “sandwich” vehicle for nut butter spread, etc.