Dr. Pepper isn’t just for drinking; you can also cook with it! This recipe also gives you a chance to make a blend of all your favorite spices to rub across the pork. If you don’t like Dr. Pepper, still give the recipe a try because the end result simply tastes like moist, well-seasoned pulled pork, not pork soaked in Dr. Pepper.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 hours
3-4 pound pork loin roast
Pork rub or your favorite seasonings
12 ounces Dr. Pepper
Barbecue sauce to taste (such as Sweet Baby Ray’s)
1. Season all sides of the pork with your pork rub.
2. Place the pork into a slow cooker and pour the Dr. Pepper in as well.
3. Cook it on low for 10-12 hours.
4. Drain most of the liquid.
5. Use tongs or two forks to shred the pork.
6. Add the barbecue sauce to taste.
7. Stir well and reduce the temperature to warm for serving.
8. Serve on buns with coleslaw on the sandwich or on the side (optional).
Good to know:
You can make pork rub out of your favorite seasonings like salt, pepper, sugar, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and ginger. You can also use other dark sodas, such as Coke. for a twist on this recipe.