This recipe uses very simple seasonings to create a blend of savory and sour. It also makes for a beautifully presented dinner that takes only a few minutes to prepare.
Reference: Melissa at Number-2-pencil.com
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
2-3 heads of garlic
1 whole chicken (4-5 pounds)
Fresh rosemary or other herbs of your choice
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut the garlic heads and lemons in half and place them into the bottom of the slow cooker. Also, cut the bottoms of the lemons off so that they will lie flat.
2. Add a sprig of rosemary or your herb of choice.
3. Remove the insides from the chicken, rinse the chicken, and pat it dry.
4. Season the chicken well, inside and out, with salt and pepper.
5. Lay the chicken on top of the garlic, lemon slices, and rosemary.
6. Cover the top of the chicken with additional lemon slices and rosemary.
7. Turn the slow cooker to high and cook for about 4 hours or until the chicken reaches 165°Fahrenheit. (Slow cooker times may vary, so use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. You can also cut into the chicken to test its color. White is done. Pink is not.)
8. When the chicken is done, turn off the slow cooker and let the chicken rest for about 15 minutes.
9. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker, carve, and serve.
10. Liquid from the slow cooker can be strained and served over the chicken.