There are few combinations as hearty as beans and ham. Let the slow cooker do all the work with this dynamic duo.
Note: This recipe may require slightly above average dedication to ingredients or process.
Reference: Julia Lapp, New Holland, PA
Prep Time: 4 hours (soaking beans)
Cook Time: 4 hours (on high) OR 7-8 hours (on low)
1 pound dry navy beans (2 1/2 cups)
5 cups water
1 garlic clove, minced
1 ham hock
1 teaspoon salt
1. Soak the beans in water for at least 4 hours in a slow cooker.
2. Add the garlic and ham hock.
3. Cover. Cook on Low for 7-8 hours or cook on High for 4 hours.
4. Add the salt during the last hour of cooking time.
5. Remove the ham hock from the cooker. Allow to cool.
6. Cut the ham meat from the hock and stir the meat back into the bean mixture.
7. Correct the seasonings and serve in soup bowls with hot corn bread.
Good to Know:
For added flavor, stir 1 chopped onion, 2-3 chopped celery stalks, 2-3 sliced carrots, and 3-4 cups canned tomatoes into the slow cooker with the garlic and ham hock.