A bell pepper makes a wonderful receptacle for holding everything from rice and cheese to corn and beans. Who doesn’t love a bowl you can eat?
Note: This recipe may require slightly above average dedication to ingredients or process.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
2 large red bell peppers, halved and seeded
1 (8 ounce) can stewed tomatoes with liquid
1/3 cup quick-cooking brown rice
2 tablespoons hot water
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
1/2 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1. Arrange the pepper halves in a 9-inch square, glass baking dish.
2. Cover the dish with plastic wrap, poking a few holes in the plastic wrap for vents.
3. Using the microwave, heat the dish for 4 minutes or until the peppers are tender.
4. In a microwave-safe bowl, mix together the tomatoes and their liquid, rice, and water.
5. Cover this bowl with plastic wrap and cook it in the microwave for 4 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
6. Stir the green onions, corn, kidney beans, and red pepper flakes into the tomato mixture. Heat in the microwave for 3 minutes or until it’s heated all the way through.
7. Spoon the hot tomato mixture evenly into the pepper halves and cover them with plastic wrap.
8. Poke a few holes in the plastic wrap to vent steam and heat them in the microwave for 4 minutes.
9. Remove the plastic wrap, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese and allow to stand 1-2 minutes before serving.
Good to know:
You may also add ground turkey or beef to this recipe for extra protein.